22 June 2022

The clock is ticking - everything counts but nothing matters

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/645392

 






















It has been known for some time that the end for Earth will come when the sun flares up prior to its final collapse.  All will end.  And yet, despite that knowledge, we have seen worth in living generous, virtuous lives along our way - or the way of humankind - towards this final collapse.

It's not that we haven't believed that the world will end in the way Professor Brian Cox and others on the mainstream media have clearly explained to us.  It's that we nonetheless think we can live while we walk towards dying, rather than just sit in the gutter bewailing the final fate of the globe and everything on it.

Faith systems enjoin us to recognise we have an end coming, yet we can and should - for our own well-being during our brief stay here - strive to live good lives: bringing into our connected thinking everyone and all creatures; governing justly; and relieving all forms of poverty.

I admit that, until some years back, I thought I would not see the end of the great human experience and experiment in my lifetime.  I was embarked on the path of 'striving to live in good faith' while here but seeing it as being far over the horizon.  Millions of years away.

Well: I now see a strong likelihood that human life as I know it will disappear only shortly after what I had been content to consider my natural span (which may turn out to be shorter than I had thought).  But does that change anything?

Does it change my thinking, my believing, my behaviour?  Why should it?  Nothing has actually changed, except the timespan.

The clock is ticking.  Everything we do now counts.  

Ultimately, nothing matters.  The Earth is destined for utter destruction.  But let us be the best us we can be, doing the best we can for other creatures and for ourselves, for as long as we can.  Because that would be a good thing to do.






No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your enquiry and like to converse. This is where we set out some of what we offer. If you don't like what you read, scroll on by. We reserve the right to disregard unappreciative audiences.
Any personal email addresses supplied in your comments will be removed from posts during the moderation process to protect your data.